Blog: bespoke

Bespoke - The making of a Savile Row coat - Part 20

Second fitting!

So, I've changed a few details: I've let out the back at the waist a bit, somewhere around 1/8" to 1/4" and I also corrected a minor glitch in the back hem, it's parallel now. I also corrected the right sleeve and gave it an extra inch, now it's the correct length, I suppose.

Bild ohne Beschreibung

Bild ohne BeschreibungBild ohne Beschreibung

Bild ohne Beschreibung

Now, this might actually surprise you, but I am still not 100% happy with the results so far... I still see some folds in the back, around the upper arms - they have to go. The rest: Arms, front: I'm OK with that. Rory wrote in our forum that it'll take you 3 coats to get it all right ... so, there'll be enough fodder for this blog for years to come!

Bespoke - The making of a Savile Row coat - Part 19

Finally - a coat that can be fitted!

It felt like ages - and probably it took that long - but finally, there's a coat that can be fitted, where only smaller details need to be fixed, but where the big issues have been solved!

What still can be seen on the following pictures: - The right sleeve is 1 inch short. That might be because my right arm is a bit longer, the shoulder hangs a bit lower and / or I worked a bit sloppy. Easy fix though! - You can see some wrinkling on the upper right arm, both at the sides and at the back of the upper arm. That might be, because the pitch of the sleeve isn't 100% correct, although I already lowered it by 1/4". It did look better before the pics were made, so it might be because of a more erect pose, while pics were taken... - The sleeve caps, all "puffy" - way too high for my liking! I will adjust that too.

But as far as the "body work goes": I think I am on the right track.

Thoughts?

Bild ohne Beschreibung

Bild ohne Beschreibung

Bild ohne Beschreibung

Bild ohne Beschreibung

Bespoke - The making of a Savile Row coat - Part 16+

Pre-fit - and the way to where we are now

I haven't posted much since March 18th. Partially due to work and also some excruciating back pains. After the so-called canvassing preparations, the actual canvassing was due.

This canvassing is a very important step, as the canvas-construct I made (See Bespoke - The making of a Savile Row coat - Part 15 will now be attached to the cloth. Mistakes will result in wrinkles and possibly even pleats. And it looks shite too.

I guess I did okay: Bild ohne Beschreibung

Bild ohne Beschreibung

After that, I sewed the edges of the forepart, so they show what the fore part-edges will look like later. The same was done with the bottom hem, so I can check the actual length of the coat.

After that, time to put the back and the foreparts together, first the sides and then the shoulders. Then one of the most important pieces of the coat was drafted and constructed: The undercollar. Took me 3 days to pad it. If you look closely on the next photos of the front, you see blue stitches on the collar. There must have been a few hundred at least!

Yesterday night, I basted the sleeves, so they are prepared for attaching to the body.

This afternoon, I basted in the collar and connected it to the lapels - also a very important step, as this defines how the lapels will roll: Will they stop just above, below or at the button?

It took me four attempts to get it where it is now...

So, lo and behold: A first "Pre-fitting", without sleeves, to find out if the body is going in the right direction...

Right side: Bild ohne Beschreibung

Left side: Bild ohne Beschreibung

Back side: Bild ohne Beschreibung

Front side: Bild ohne Beschreibung Bild ohne Beschreibung

Thanks to Vicki (Best wife of all) for taking the pictures and her patience hearing me yap about sewing this coat since weeks! Schliepdisch!

Bespoke - The making of a Savile Row coat - Part 15

Canvassing preparations, part 1

Due to some back issues and a lot of other things, I haven't been too active over the last days.

You might remember from my entry here: "Focus or fuck up" that there's also some canvas and hair cloth involved in this coat, apart from the black stuff, called domette.

After getting new canvas and cutting it correctly this time, the 2 different sorts of canvas and the domette need to be put together, like this: Bild ohne Beschreibung Bild ohne Beschreibung

  • If you are wondering, where the second piece of canvas is... It's covered by the black domette.

The chest canvas brings a certain "stiffness" or "springiness" along, in one direction it is similarly limp or weak as any other normal fabric. But "against the grain" (so, perpendicular to the grain), it kind of refuses to fold completely. With the hair cloth (so called because of goat's, or in this case, horse's hair is woven into it) this effect is even stronger.

So, sewing those two together as shown above, results in this - if you try to fold the canvas vertically:

Bild ohne Beschreibung

After having both sides done (I had to redo most of the 2nd part, as I there seemed to have been a pleat in the hair cloth), parts had to be cut and sewn together again... Now it looks a bit like Frankenstein's coat... Let's hope there'll be no thunderstorm tonight ... who knows what'll happen if it comes to live!

Bild ohne BeschreibungBild ohne Beschreibung Now, on to pressing, modifiying pockets and then the really, really terrifying stuff starts...

Bespoke - The making of a Savile Row coat - Part 14

Outbreast pocket - done!

Despite my back trying to make me crawl on all four for the rest of the week, I managed to finish the outbreast - and last "external" pocket. Not much text - you can find me on the couch! Bild ohne Beschreibung

Bild ohne Beschreibung